Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Why Wait?

"If you are thinking about doing something tomorrow, do it today instead."


This quote by Navy SEAL and endurance athlete David Goggins is the main reason I have done so many races in the past few years. It was the closing line of a blog post by Goggins in July 2009. It caught my eye at the time because I was trying to decide whether or not to register for the 2010 Ironman Coeur d'Alene. A few of my friends had signed up for the race and were trying to convince me to join them. Finishing an Ironman was a lifetime goal for me, but I always saw it happening several years in the future. At that time, I had never done a triathlon of any distance, and I didn't even own a bike, so surviving an entire Ironman didn't sound very likely. The quote convinced me to take a chance and sign up for the Ironman. One year and a lot of training later, Ironman CdA ended up being my best race ever (read about it here).

Since then, the quote has continued to inspire me to take chances and avoid putting things off for the future. I have run 16 marathons and 1 ultramarathon since doing the Ironman and I'm still going strong; always trying to set new challenging goals for myself.

Just last week, I heard I could pace the St. Jude Memphis Marathon. The race was less than a month away, and it happens one week before I run the Double Decker Marathon. It would have been easy to skip the race this year and pace it next year instead, but then I thought about the Goggins quote above...why put it off until next year? I signed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment